Next Community Meeting:
This is the final cumulative meeting of seven community workshops held to determine the vision and goals of the Donner Summit community. This is a good meeting to attend to learn if you, as a member of the community, have been represented and heard correctly. This a great opportunity to discuss how the draft plan and recommended zone changes will affect you, in the short and long term. The Area Plan requires input from homeowners, renters, working people, business owners, and service providers. Join us to find out the next steps and implementation of the Area Plan.
Draft Area Plan Chapters
Nevada County Public Works has also been granted funds to make large scale improvements to Donner Pass Road, running through the Soda Springs Area :
What is the Area Plan?
The area plan will define Soda Springs as the natural commercial center for the wider area with its own look and feel. An Area Plan presents a design for the community, taking into consideration current and future infrastructure needs. An Area Plan in Soda Springs would modernize zoning to support not just travelers as it has historically, but residents as well. An area plan also identifies traffic & pedestrian circulation, signage, parking improvements.
Goals for the Soda Springs Area Plan
• Identification of the constraints that are inhibiting desirable development;
• Development of flexible development standards;
• Design guidelines that reflect the distinct community character of Soda Springs;
• Walkability within the Rural Center;
• Identification of potential infrastructure improvements and service needs;
• Exploration of potential opportunities for creating and maintaining accessible public spaces, including a town center and/or park; and
• Review of the appropriateness of current land use and zoning designations.
The preparation of the new Soda Springs Area Plan began in July of 2014 and is expected to be completed by June 2016.
Patrick Dobbs, Patrick.Dobbs@co.nevada.ca.us